The Traveller Web Comic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Trader Jump Expansion Module - Concept

2 posters

Go down

Free Trader Jump Expansion Module - Concept Empty Free Trader Jump Expansion Module - Concept

Post  Baron Saarthuran Fri May 02, 2008 11:30 am

Abstract Idea: A detachable Auxiliary jump module and fuel supply connected to the Free Trader "Command Module" Body by a utility frame and boom assembly. A 20 ton ship's Launch and a third turret are also added, along with a second backup "slave" computer unit, and a less-function backup power plant. The rear section of the attached module is accessable by means of a pressurized spinal connection Umbilical corridor. The utility frame design of the support boom structure makes for easier utilization of on-hand and locally aquired l-hyd tank units for increased jump range.

Comments:

What if we tried redesigning the the free trader base ship (as per the deckplan) as a 300 or 400 ton ship with no jump drives, power plant fuel, and maybe some jump fuel. The rest of the tonnage could be applied to a massive Jump-4 Engine, which is mostly contained in the rear section. Connected, the Free Trader combo should be sluggish, with crappy agility, but maybe by chopping out the J Drive and some of the fuel up front, we could jack up the M-Drives to 6G, so that when the Command Module is off, it can kick ass... It may mean getting extra engineers, but they may also end up as "B' characters, who can get killed off attaching weird fuel tanks to the frame. Then they might need replacing by local labor (who of course could be spies, or thieves, or murderers, or ...)
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Free Trader Jump Expansion Module - Concept Empty Re: Free Trader Jump Expansion Module - Concept

Post  Beech Mon May 05, 2008 4:47 pm

I like this a lot, I think we should work this up, this could be part of the refit to go on the mission, and part of the reward is that our guys get to keep it at completion. Lots of extra storylines here also. I'll have a go at designing how this could look

Baron Saarthuran wrote:It may mean getting extra engineers, but they may also end up as "B' characters, who can get killed off attaching weird fuel tanks to the frame. Then they might need replacing by local labor (who of course could be spies, or thieves, or murderers, or ...)

This is a great idea also, we need a few 'B' character redshirts & I like the idea that we can introduce a few new characters occasionally.

Beech

Back to top Go down

Free Trader Jump Expansion Module - Concept Empty Re: Free Trader Jump Expansion Module - Concept

Post  Beech Mon May 05, 2008 5:02 pm

I have just started a ship spec & plan section to make things easier to find Smile

Beech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down