The Traveller Web Comic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Map? (Setting)

4 posters

Go down

The Map? (Setting) Empty The Map? (Setting)

Post  Baron Saarthuran Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:09 pm

Where should it start? Should we make up our own subsector and go from there, or use a pre-mapped one?
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

The Map? (Setting) Empty Re: The Map? (Setting)

Post  far-trader Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Good question, and more generally are we going OTU or some variation?

Like using a Beowulf class Type A trader. While recognizable and iconic are there copyright issues to address? Same for using Traveller specific terms, like Traveller.

I'm sure we're fine as long as it's strictly a zero income fan deal. But if you (David) have visions of compiling and selling a book, or even simply advertising on the site, we may cross over the "fair use" line.

So we (mostly you David) should decide that before getting too carried away with the details.

far-trader

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron Saarthuran Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:55 pm

That is a valid point. Even if this is just for kicks, we want to avoid any cease and desist stuff from any of the Traveller people. I'm fine with a fan-based effort for now. Books is later. The quality of work we do wil show what kind of books we could do as a team. This project could be a test prototype for future projects.
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Post  Beech Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:51 am

I have thought about this also. I am sure we are OK as long as we stay no-profit - as Flynn's Stellar Reaches seems to have escaped any comeback by confirming this as his approach, however (we can dream!) if this went any further we could reassess the situation. My aim was always just to have fun with this and contribute back into the Traveller community rather than become commercial, on this basis I would prefer if we stayed OTU if we could. I going to do a courtesy email to Marc though (and maybe Mongoose too). Hopefully this may preempt any problems.

Beech

Back to top Go down

The Map? (Setting) Empty Hoping

Post  Magnus von Thornwood Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:18 pm

I too hope to see us in real print and on a shelf, and maybe even with my name in it somewhere. sunny

On the other hand, I still want to do the OTU, but I am a die hard canonist. And hey, if we are really good and Miller-sifu likes it maybe we can get use of the TMs...maybe.

Having a good time and I like what I have seen so far. cheers
Magnus von Thornwood
Magnus von Thornwood

http://www.geocities.com/ionicproductionsus/

Back to top Go down

Post  Beech Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:45 pm

I did email Marc (and also Matt Sprange) just make sure they were OK with this but nothing back so far... Sad

Beech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum