The Traveller Web Comic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08

4 posters

Go down

Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08 Empty Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08

Post  Baron Saarthuran Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:24 am

Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08 Dialogroughs03-26-08
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08 Empty Re: Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08

Post  far-trader Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:23 am

Excellent choices there! I vote Optima for narration, and love the Zho untranslated font. What is it?

far-trader

Back to top Go down

Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08 Empty Re: Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08

Post  Baron Saarthuran Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am

It is a font called "Roswell Wreckage" I figured it looked constrained enough to represent something from so rigid a society
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Post  far-trader Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 am

Baron Saarthuran wrote:It is a font called "Roswell Wreckage"...

Ah! That's why it looks so familiar Smile

I think it fits the Zho nicely, even more so knowing the name now. Hmm, wonder if there's never been a Zho text sample in some publication. Like the canon Imperial font what's name I forget at the moment, it'll come to me, no matter. I don't recall ever seeing any Zho labeling on anything but might have missed it. I like the Roswell font, just if there was some canon sample it might be better to use that if available.

far-trader

Back to top Go down

Post  Beech Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:30 am

far-trader wrote:Excellent choices there! I vote Optima for narration

I totally agree!

Beech

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron Saarthuran Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:06 pm

Optima is totally the one for this. What about Narration Box background color? Yellow is classic comic style, and orange I have seen used well in european style comics like in Heavy Metal and such to good effect. The trick with optima will be in scaling it and having it heavy enough to not look wimpy.
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron Saarthuran Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:25 pm

Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08 NarrationBoxDevelopment03-27-08

Presented are four narration boxes with Optima represented in all its incarnations. We have to look at objectively and pick a method that is easy to read and has a good overall look. I added a slight drop shadow to the boxes to stand them out more a bit.
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Post  far-trader Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:12 pm

I think my vote is for the last one, the narrow italicized. But I'm seeing some yellow bleed around the box shadow. Is it my vision or monitor doing some blurriness? Or maybe the scaling on the page? Or an optical trick? Previous I was going to vote for orange anyway, to differentiate it from the other non-dialog (radio chatter, computer, whatever). Though the box style could do the same. I wonder, could you do the same sample in orange to compare? Or maybe just hue the yellow a bit more red? Thanks.

far-trader

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron Saarthuran Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:41 am

The yellow is on my end, it is the image of the text box reversed, sorry for confusion.

I am influenced by using yellow for machine voices from reading the Avengers growing up. The Character the Vision has a distinct method of dialog ballon.

I vote for orange to, with a light italic optima as well. The darker ones are a little hard on the eyes, and the regular font (non italic) is sort of hard to read at a glance. Bear in mind that any color combination of text and box is possible, of course. I am not sure if you guys have seen the comic Tom Strong, but they do some very interesting and still legible font work in those.
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Font Picks: First Go as of 03-26-08 Empty The Living Android!

Post  Magnus von Thornwood Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Baron Saarthuran wrote:The yellow is on my end, it is the image of the text box reversed, sorry for confusion.

I am influenced by using yellow for machine voices from reading the Avengers growing up. The Character the Vision has a distinct method of dialog ballon.

I vote for orange to, with a light italic optima as well. The darker ones are a little hard on the eyes, and the regular font (non italic) is sort of hard to read at a glance. Bear in mind that any color combination of text and box is possible, of course. I am not sure if you guys have seen the comic Tom Strong, but they do some very interesting and still legible font work in those.
The Vision totally rocked and made a baby with the Scarlet Witch, what ever happened to that little tyke anyway?

Honestly, I dig number 3 best, then number 1. Also why go with yellow or orange...why not a say a I don't know, ummmm, light green, wait, darnit, that's for the ImpArmy Dialogs. :p
Magnus von Thornwood
Magnus von Thornwood

http://www.geocities.com/ionicproductionsus/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum