The Traveller Web Comic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interior locations - General Look

4 posters

Go down

Interior locations - General Look Empty Interior locations - General Look

Post  Beech Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:17 pm

I am trying to establish a look for the ship interior, i think a slightly higher tech version of the worn look of Firefly/Serenity (I hated the flimsy ship doors in that - no way they could hold out against decompression/gunfire etc.) I don't want to get too grungy but everything should be in need of a fresh coat of paint. A bit spartan, not too many luxuries and a cramped feeling in true Traveller style (but at the same time avoiding the complete military look). I certainly do not think Star Trek chrome and shiny white surfaces are right - we can leave those to the Imperial Navy & the bad guys with money.

Beech

Back to top Go down

Interior locations - General Look Empty Re: Interior locations - General Look

Post  Baron Saarthuran Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:14 pm

What about grungy on the lower waist to foot level and cleaner towards the ceilings?

There is a certain sameness to the texturing of the table and the cabinets. It's a little too grubby.

The handles on the cabinets as recessed handholds to cut back on background objects?

Suggest a variant on the Iris valve look: Instead a thin-spoke radial array look around a central close-point. This would add an unusual asian-like or even renaissance sort of motif door element to the backgrounds, as opposed to the too-often-seen Tim Burton sort of swirl door.

Another possible reference: Old Soviet spacecraft interiors and color schemes. I'll start putting some reference sheets together.
Baron Saarthuran
Baron Saarthuran

Back to top Go down

Post  far-trader Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:05 am

Grungy but uncluttered in the crew areas (dirty and worn but safe).

Clean but cluttered in the pax areas (nice but pax are bad for leaving things lying around).

For what it's worth I'm not a fan of iris valves for doorways. Round surface hatches sure. So my deckplan allows full recess as a sliding door for all doorways, whether it be a vacuum hatch or simple privacy door. If that makes it easier. It'll still allow the iconic iris hatch too if you prefer it.

far-trader

Back to top Go down

Post  Beech Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:30 pm

I am very happy to get rid of iris hatches, I have never been a fan either & they never seem to look right in illustrations (oops, there goes the first bit of canon Smile).

Beech

Back to top Go down

Interior locations - General Look Empty Ah more agreement...

Post  Magnus von Thornwood Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 am

Beech wrote:I am very happy to get rid of iris hatches, I have never been a fan either & they never seem to look right in illustrations (oops, there goes the first bit of canon Smile).
Well I put in my CrImp 0.02 on doors in another post, but the gist is this is after all an old ass Free Trader, I mean they ain't Type-S Scouts (better air) but otherwise the only way to tell the crew portions of a Free Trader and a Type-S is the Scouts have IISS patches on their uniforms. And at TL 9 doors might still be safer. Still as far as killing some canon doors versus iris is pretty lame. Razz

OK, sue me, I am a Navy man. sorry Scouts, who of course I do respect....mostly.
Magnus von Thornwood
Magnus von Thornwood

http://www.geocities.com/ionicproductionsus/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down